The great debate: Pancakes or waffles?
My husband is a huge fan of waffles and is apathetic towards pancakes. I love both! It’s so easy to customize waffles by adding oats, chocolate, or fresh fruit. I particularly enjoy adding ground flax seed for a little extra protein.
The great thing about waffles is that the waffle pattern is perfectly made to catch melted butter and maple syrup. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!
Of course, every family has their waffle recipe. I particularly like this one because it is quick to mix together and has a great flavor and texture!
- 2 cups of milk of your choice (almond milk makes it a bit harder to brown the waffle- I like using coconut milk or a couple teaspoons of powdered coconut milk and water)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar (Optional- I like to add some sugar to help the waffles crisp up)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed (Optional)
- 1/4 cup of add-ins: chocolate chips, blueberries, pecans, etc.
- Mix milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil together.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and ground flax seed.
- Mix until just combined. If you mix too much it will turn tough. It’s ok if there are lumps.
- Cook in a hot waffle iron, top with butter and syrup, and enjoy!