Muffins have such a wide range, from almost-cupcakes to healthy breakfast options. In the past, I have struggled with finding ways to make muffins dairy-free. They generally have sour cream or Greek yogurt, butter, milk, or a combo of all three.
Obviously, this makes it a little hard for me to easily find a muffin recipe on pinterest. I don’t always want to make vegan muffins- sometimes I just want a dairy-free muffin!
Thus, I took a muffin recipe that my husband already liked and I tweaked it to fit my needs. I was a little worried that the coconut milk would flavor the muffins too much, but you can’t tell that I used coconut milk at all!
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup oil of your choice (I used olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Turbinado sugar (optional)
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the coconut milk, oil, eggs, poppyseeds, and extracts.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones.
- Stir until just mixed.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin pans two-thirds to most of the way full.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top. (Optional)
- Bake for 13-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack.
- If you are a person that doesn’t like coconut, never fear! You can’t taste the coconut in these muffins.
- For the coconut milk, you can either: 1) Leave a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and scrape the cream off the top, then add a little liquid from the can to make a thick yogurt texture. 2) Shake up a can of coconut milk. I have tried it both ways, and the muffins turned out delicious no matter what!
- I have added sliced almonds to these muffins, and they turned out great! I would use a 1/4 cup of sliced almonds.
- You can replace the almond extract with lemon extract and add a teaspoon or two of lemon zest to make these lemon poppyseed muffins. Yum!
- This recipe makes 12-16 muffins.
- I have not tried using a flax egg in this recipe to make it vegan. If you do, please let me know how it goes!